Monday, September 27, 2010

Where's the country of Lesbia ??

            So there are soooo many times I am asked by people about my childhood and what it was like growing up with a lesbian mom.  (OH SNAP….did she just say her mom is gay!) That’s right homophobes run for the door…haha.  I always share the same story when I am asked…
            I was about 6 or 7 years old and my mom and dad had just got a divorce.  My mom, brother, and I had all moved to a little apartment.  My mom had a “best friend” that was always around, but to me it seemed normal. Mom was having a sleepover…right?  Then came the night when she as one would put it “came out of the closet” to my brother and I.
          She and her “friend” sat us down and my mom began to tell us that her “friend” was moving in with us.  I remember my brother flipping out, mind you he’s a lil’ older than me and much smarter than me, so he TOTALLY understood what mom was trying to say…but not me?  My brother was shouting at my mom “No Mom, everyone is gonna say you’re a lesbian !!! “.....HUH ????
Why does he keep saying mom is from another country?  Where is this country called Lesbia?   I had heard of Canadian, Arabian, Mexican, but Lesbian…this one I did not understand.   I had this vision that my mom was now going to start wearing something wrapped around her head and start talking in another language.  It was all so very confusing to me!  I just sat there with a look of confusion on why my brother was so angry over mom having a friend stay the night.
 I thought it was cool.  



1 comment:

  1. u rock so much, my entertainment for a lifetime. I heart you.

    ReplyDelete