Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Vicodin, Oxycontin, Heroin..OH MY !!

            When it came to Heroin, I used to have this theory…Legalize it, and let all of the stupid people kill themselves off.  Well oh crap!... Those “stupid” people are now the ones I love!  What the heck is going on in America.  Hell the Taliban doesn’t need to attack us, we are slowly killing ourselves off.
            In Fairfield county, Ohio ¼ babies are born addicted to some type of opiate.  (Hows that for a promising Future!) Right now and for the last 2 years drug overdose has been the #1 accidental cause of death in Ohio!  Yeah #1,, beating out car accidents!  Seriously,, when is it gonna stop?
            There is no one out there, no matter what there age, race, or social status who is not affected right now in some way by pills or heroin addiction, weather it be them, a family member, or a friend.  So with soooo many people dealing with such an issue, how is it as a community we are not coming together to help?  There are a few groups locally that are giving a valiant effort to make change, unfortunately without numbers and money, they can not get too far.
            I have a good friend who has lost her son to heroin.  Her and I went to a meeting with some of the city officials, to talk about what can be done, share ideas, figure out how to get community involvement.  They shared with us, their “anonymous questionnaires” they are passing out to students in order to get a better idea of what is going on with teens now days.  (because you know kids, they are sooo honest, they will totally check a box on a questionnaire saying they pop pills and shoot up…..*Serious Sarcasm on this one)  
            There is community dances being planned to celebrate “sober nights” for teens….Okay this is great to have a dance for kids, but where exactly is this helping fight the problem?  You want to give kids something to do sober (other than go to the local mall!) than give this town a recreation center, a youth center, somewhere where they can go any day, not just once every few months for a couple hours.  Sure we have the YMCA, but seriously, how many working class Americans can afford that?  We need someplace kids can go to talk to counselors at anytime for no cost!!!  I remember wanting to talk to my mom when I was growing up about quite a few SERIOUS issues, but the fear of getting into trouble stopped me from ever talking to her, instead like an idiot I listened to my peers. You would think with sooo many people in this community that enough people could VOLUNTEER their time to set up  24 hour teen counciling?   
            And if you’re gonna send people in to talk to kids about addiction, don’t send people in suits and ties, send people who have walked the road and who teens can relate to.  Remember kids are living in an “MTV World”  they are gonna respond more to someone who looks “cool”, someone who can talk to them at they’re level, not someone who looks like a doctor or lawyer.  Yeah I know it sounds ridiculous, but its true.
            I watch the news and see of the ridiculous government spending going on out there, yet I’m not seeing any funding go to stop this epidemic.  Thank god they are slowly cracking down on all the drug dealing doctors, passing out pain pills like their candy, still a long way to go though! We need funding for rehabilitation.  Its not like someone can just wake up one day and say “I don’t want to do pills/heroin anymore”  There is a severe physical and mental addiction, that requires medical help in most cases.  Unfortunatly until the community raises their voices, and gets active on the issue, the problems going to keep getting worse.  
            My best friend lost her mother recently to an overdose.  I watched her struggle with her moms addiction since we were kids.  Honestly I would say that she was the parent of the relationship.  Then I have my friend who has lost her son.  NO ONE can ever possibly understand when doing pills and heroin how you are not only killing yourself but you are slowly killing your loved ones.  And once that addiction finaly takes you, the battle is just beginning for your loved ones, who are left with no understanding on how things got this far, how they could have done something different, how they can have a piece of you back just to be close to you.  
            There is sooo much more I can say and ramble on about, but the fact of the matter is, its just talk!  And as my daddy always told me,,, “Talk is Cheap”.  Until I/WE DO something, that’s all it will remain, is an idea of change.  

5 comments:

  1. We are standing behind you FIRM girl! You know what is IRONIC? In the process of moving I found all of our meeting information for our Heroin & Opiat awareness rally...I kept it out, because this is something I think we should still do & it may take us awhile to do so, but I think with proper preperation & a great team of volunteers we can pull it off & save some lives...So the question remains...not Is It In Yet, But Why Hasn't It Happened Yet??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with everything you've said. I would willingly donate a little time to help keep these kids from getting wrapped up in this horrible addiction. I've had several people very close to me suffer from narcotic/heroin addiction. It completely changes a person. I watched a documentary on heroin addiction a while back. It stated that only 8% of addicts fully recover. 8%!!! That's horrible! And the doctor's cure for narcotic/heroin addiction is to substitute with suboxone or methadone. Great. So now you've replaced one addiction with another. I have a friend who has been on suboxone for over 3 years now and she wants off but her doc won't let her. Something needs to happen soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother is addicted to well at first it was vicodin and is bow heroin just simply because it is cheaper. There is a program that Fairfield County has but they are out of money and it is $190/2hr. Session. Or something close to that. There are also N/A meetings but as we found out that was of no help to him, it is just full of ppl looking to score, it gives ppl more contacts, ppl they may not know within that community. It is hard to escape, especially if one is trying to get clean. I have also had friends die from overdosing. It is definitely a problem and know one seems to care enough to crack down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn, I sent you my feelings/experiences surrounding this EVIL drug. I do not live in OH any longer, but am more than willing to volunteer time, efforts when I am back...you just let me know and keep us posted on what volunteers can do....I'll never understand why that community wants nothing more than to keep sweeping this issue under the rug as if it doesn't exist..What's more is even ppl who have been affected in some way or another still turn a blind eye. PPl would rather be ignorant, guess it's easier, but ignorance is not bliss any longer in this matter!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. reggies three year anniversary is wend oct 27th. who would have ever thought itd be him. it will kill you its just a matter of wen.Helps out thee u just gotta look and use the system like it uses you. keep up the good work jen i wish you and could do it all.

    ReplyDelete